Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Week 8: Overview and Updates

Overview:

Note: This blog has been posted late!

For students all over campus, this week is filled with thoughts of Midterm Examinations. Not only must I prepare for a Midterm but also a Final. This Final is for a short term course I have been enrolled in for the past 8 weeks, Essentials of Marketing. I also think that there is a need for this course, the Archive Internship, to evaluate my current progress.

Research Project: Mabel B. Peirson



I met with the patron who requested information about Mabel B. Peirson this past Tuesday. I found a plethora of materials for him that he was very happy to have. I found a picture of her in the 1906 Item Annual that is of very good quality (see picture to the left). He was very pleased with this picture. I agreed to make a scan of it which he can obtain after Spring Break. I will give him a copy of the picture as a jpeg when we meet again. He is not a student, but a member of the public. I do not think he has a library membership, but even so, he has a right to information. This is why I agreed to go out of my way and make him a scan of the picture. Otherwise, he does not have access to the computer or the scanner in the Research Zone. Even if he did, he made it clear that he does not have the necessary skills to use the computer and scanner. I do believe that the patron's needs are the most important thing, so this is another reason why I agreed to go out of my way for the picture. I will follow up on the next post about our next meeting.

Courier Project Update

The use of the spreadsheet is making all the idiosyncracies very clear in this project. The first years of material is not as organized. For example, there is no separation of Sports and General like in later years. As I continue to fill the spreadsheet with information, it will become obvious how to finally organize the Courier material in an accessible way.

Campus Archive Project (CAP):

No luck on any more meetings. I will continue to send out emails.

Cabinet Project Update:

Drawer 2 is still in the works!

Next Week (after Spring Break):

1) Continue with the Courier Spreadsheet.

2) Set up meetings for CAP.

3) Continue Cabinet Project.

No comments: